You may wish to create a custom test limit for testing your patch cords. The TIA limit permits 0.75 dB but most patch cord vendors guarantee better. If you do not want to create a custom test limit and are happy with the standard 0.75 dB offering from the TIA, then click here to skip the custom test limit process.
Custom test limit creation (Optional)
In this example we will create a custom test limit for a single mode patch cord with a loss no greater than 0.2 dB per mated connection. We're choosing 0.2 dB because that is the maximum permitted loss in IEC 14763-3 for a Test Reference Cord. You may wish to choose a different value. Please look to your specification.
From the Home Screen:
- Press FUNCTIONS and highlight Edit Custom Test Limit.
Press ENTER to see:
- Press F1 Add Limit and highlight TIA-568-C Singlemode ISP.
- Highlight the word Exist in the table.
- Change the Loss per Adapter (dB) from 0.75 dB to 0.2 dB.
- Press the cursor right key to select 1550 and change the Loss per Adapter (dB) from 0.75 dB to 0.2 dB.
- Press SAVE.
- Press F3 Edit Name and enter your test limit name.
Press SAVE when done.
- Press SETUP and go to the Cable Tab.
And ensure you have FIBER TYPE set to Singlemode.
- Go to the Loss/Length tab.
- With TEST LIMIT highlighted, press ENTER.
- Press F2 More and highlight Custom.
- Select your custom test limit, in this example; *SM PATCH CORD*.
- Change the REMOTE END SETUP to Loopback.
- Change BI-DIRECTIONAL to Enabled.
- Ensure TEST METHOD is Method B. (Only affects help screens)
- Change the CONNECTOR TYPE to SC. (Only affects help screens)
- Change the NUMBER OF ADAPTERS to 1. (This will ensure the correct Loss Budget is used for PASS/FAIL)
We are now ready to set a reference.
- Clean and inspect your Test Reference Cord (TRC)
- Connect your known good TRC as shown below:
What is a known good Test Reference Cord? In the coming steps, we will find out how good your TRC is.
- Press EXIT until you get to the HOME screen.
- Press F1 Change Test and highlight Loss/Length.
(Do you like our fun photo? Click here to find out how to change it)
- Press FUNCTIONS and highlight Set Loss/Length Reference.
- Press ENTER to start the reference measurement. When complete, you will see something similar to:
- Disconnect the TRC from the INPUT PORT only.
- Insert your patch cord to be tested as shown below:
- Press TEST.
- When you see this screen:
Swap the fiber cord as shown below:
- Press F3 OK to complete the test. you should see something similar to this:
- Press F1 View Result to see the loss at each end.
- So which end is which?
If your TRC is bad, you will never see readings this good. This procedure is useful for determining a set of perfect Test Reference Cords.