|The DTX-NSM requires an IP address in order to test a network link. |
The IP address can be configured in the DTX in either DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) or Static mode.
Note: You should only use Static mode if the IT Manager provided you with the IP address. Otherwise, you may run into duplicate IP address issues.
To set the DTX IP address:
1. Turn the rotary switch to SETUP; then select NETWORK SETTINGS
2. Highlight IP Address Assignment and press ENTER
3. Choose either DHCP or Static then follow the appropriate steps for your mode selection.
Select DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) to have the network's server assign the tester's address, gateway address, and DHCP and DNS (Domain Name System) server addresses. Most networks support DHCP.
1. Highlight DHCP; then press ENTER
2. If available, the networks server assigns the tester's address, gateway address, and DHCP and DNS (Domain Name System) server address. Most Networks support DHCP.
3. To verify the assigned IP address you must run the Network Connectivity test. To do this, turn the dial to MONITOR, Highlight Network Connectivity, and press TEST.
4. The DHCP assigned addresses will display on the Network Connectivity results screen.
5. In DHCP mode, the addresses will show as 0.0.0.0 if the DHCP server does not provide them.
Static IP Addressing
Select Static to enter the tester's address, subnet mask, gateway address (optional), and DNS server address (optional) manually. Enter the addresses on the second tab that appears after you select Static. These addresses are typically obtained from a network installer, administrator, technician, or from network documentation.
1. Highlight Static, press ENTER
2. The screen will display two tabs, select tab 2 on the Network Settings screen.
3. The following list will display: IP addresses, subnet mask, gateway address (optional), and DNS server address (optional).
4. Enter each Network Address by Highlighting each field, pressing ENTER and manually enter each of the network addresses. Save the IP addresses. (DHCP is not available for Static addressing).
5. To verify the assigned IP address you must run the Network Connectivity test. To do this, turn the dial to Monitor, highlight Network Connectivity, and press TEST.
6. The Statically assigned IP addresses will display on the Network Connectivity results screen.
Important Note: In Static mode, you should verify that another network device is not using the DTX-NSM CableAnalyzers IP address, as using a duplicate address can cause the other device to malfunction.
7. The DTX-NSM CableAnalyzer is now ready for Network Connectivity testing.